Thursday, January 27, 2011

Day 3- Hanging in there, 1/27/11

I just finished the third painting, but you realize that so far I have had to produce a painting on all the days I teach, I'm tired just now, hopefully I get rested up tonight so I can concentrate on getting the 4th painting done early in the a.m.  I've been staying up too late, probably why I'm exhausted, so, it's not yet midnight, so must be good. 

I've done a painting today of one I did for the post card thing for Ella Sharp (the one I did the first day was one too), the reason is, I figure these are for me, I enjoyed the process with the post cards and I liked the subject matter so I just enlarged them a bit and painted them again, of course they aren't exact replica's since I can't do that (I'd get bored), any way, here goes, hope I can get it straight how I did it, not being funny, lol. 

I started out wet in wet, the violet color for the tree area and a mixture of yellow ochre with some violet in it (just a bit to gray it down) and I kind of painted the colors around the birds a bit, some of it bled in but not much.  After that dried, I got the shape of the birds better and then painted layers of the violet area to make it look like trees, I did do some charging in with some orange and yellow to indicate leaves, later I put some gouache mixed with the yellow and yellow ochre and some violet to attempt to make it look a little backlit, not sure if it pulled off or not but that's the way it is.  I tried to keep the foreground grasses simple since I want the focus on the birds, I just finished it up by looking at my reference photo, and fine tuned the Sandhill Cranes using cobalt blue with burnt sienna and some violet mixed in here and there, hard to tell you exactly since I just do it, sorry, they have a rusty red topknot and that was a little bit of cadmium red light (kind of red-orange), since the picture is pretty small it isn't extremely detailed but I think it comes across well, I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment