Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Day 2 and all is well

Well, I managed to get the painting done, was a bit of a stretch, and now it's probably the next day, having a little difficulty with my computer (as per) and took me almost an hour to get here to (my computer wouldn't let me in), so anyway, I did get it done on Wednesday so it counts, my intention was to have it done before my class, but that didn't happen, I had to pick up my paintings from Ella Sharp (Blue Moon show), got back and the matt cutter was up so I decided to cut enough matts for the rest of this week, I want to keep on top of it, if I don't, it won't be pretty, trust me, I have a stack of stuff that needs matting and I haven't got to it again.  So, I had slightly more than an hour to work on my painting before I had to leave, obviously it didn't get done before class, so I came home and finished it after class, whew!  Glad I got it done, took about an hour, so I didn't get to take pictures of it in progress like I wanted to.  I will tell you how I approached this one though.  first I did the rocks in the foreground, the very first one is the one at the very bottom edge, then you paint it in (with light wash's), making sure to change colors constantly, the colors vary using cobalt blue to gray down burnt sienna and some yellow ochre and possibly some VanDyke Brown and maybe a bit of violet (any).  Remember, light wash changing on every rock, I overlaped the rocks one at a time.  Then I did the leaves in the middle top, with just a greenish wash, after I did that I didn't like how dark it was and went in and lifted some of the lighter areas and then floated yellow right on top.  Then the large rocks at the top with a blue/gray wash just for information to work up later, and I did fill in the water, with some sap green charged in with yellow ochre and floated some cerulean blue in spots, that was just a first wash, after I let that dry, I then went back in and painted darks in the background around the leaves negatively, and brought it down towards the water where it's dark and then floated cobalt blue in and let it fade out towards the water.  after that, it's put in some shading on the large background rocks to indicate leaf shadows with some cobalt blue and some purple (love that purple). and spattered and, kept at it until it made me happy, I know it may not be a show winner, but it is a painting and I was happy with the way it looked, hope you like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment