Thursday, April 12, 2012

Black River Gorge - Finished April 12, 2012

Here it is, I told you yesterday that I was going to post this one, I've been so excited about this surface, I'm loving it. When I got this board (Strathmore High Plate Illustration Board), I cut it in half and took it to my watercolor class on Tuesday, that was only slightly over 2 weeks ago, wow, two paintings painted on this surface, they are about 15" x 20", just about what a 1/4 sheet of watercolor paper would be. This surface is smooth, but it has a slight tooth, it however, is not slick, but slightly absorbent, a truely lovely surface to paint on. I'm going to finish another one that I started at about the same time (I think I started it on Thursday), that same week as that first waterfall painting I finished.

I have a start photo, which you will see is rather oblique, not much to say what it will be, then as I painted, it really grabbed me, now, you understand, I did all both of the first two, the start and the second stage, all the same day. I didn't have time to finish it then, or I would have, it really grabbed me. I didn't feel that I made much more progress for the 3rd and 4th stages, so I didn't photograph it, well, I probably should have, oh well, live and learn, so I actually worked on this 4 times, once on Tuesday, then on Thursday, and again on Tuesday this week, I had to work the Gallery yesterday afternoon and I had about another hour in this, but didn't quite have it finished, today was putting the water to rights, this painting makes me very happy, I think it's the composition and the bits of detail, I love painting falls and this one really gives me a lot to love, I'm hoping you love it too, I'm going to be exhibiting it in my show at the Carnegie Center for the Arts in Three Rivers, MI, August, September & October this year, hope to see you there, I'll be letting you know when the reception is and possibly you can manage to find time to go.


This is the final, now I'll put the 1st and second stages in.


No comments:

Post a Comment